Thursday, December 13, 2012

e.l.f. Evil Queen Palette

So, you may or may not remember me posting when I acquired the e.l.f. Disney villains palettes a few months back. If not, you can re-read that post here. I promised you all swatches, and here they finally are! It took me a little while to work my way back around to these, but now I have some more thoughts for you all regarding the formula and wear. I'll be doing separate posts for each of the palettes, and I'm starting off with the Evil Queen's palette!



Here are swatches of the top row. From top to bottom are One Bite, Vanity, Narcissistic, and Potion. I swatched each color twice; first on bare skin, then over the included primer. You can barely see Vanity, but I promise it's there.


And here is the second row of colors swatched in the same manner. Top to bottom are Fairest of the Land, Majesty, Peddler's Cloak, and Poison Apple.


And finally, here are the two lip/cheek color pencils, blended out on the left, and then swatched more heavily on the right.

Summary: I'm honestly not very impressed with the quality of the products in this kit. The eyeshadows are powdery, patchy, and aren't particularly pigmented. They do slightly better on the eyes than swatched. I'm sure I'll still use them from time to time despite this mediocre formula; they're not terrible. I can't see myself using the lip/cheek pencils as cheek colors, but they smear very easily when worn on the lips. I am glad I picked these up when I had the chance since I am a big Disney fan and I love them as a collectible item, but I wouldn't recommend the products inside; this is an inexpensive set, but unless you want every single color you'd still probably be better off buying a single from the drugstore. The sheer shadows and packaging would actually make this perfect for a young girl looking for costume or play makeup. 

10 comments:

  1. While I LOVE the packaging, I did not buy any of these cause I've never been impressed with ELF shadows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely understand that sentiment!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sarah, I have a soft spot for Disney related items too! It's a shame that the quality wasn't a bit better, as the colors themselves seem to have potential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sort of expecting this to be the case when I bought the palette, so I wasn't too disappointed... Although I agree, the colors are pretty and work well together, it would have been a pleasant surprise if the formula had been really great! Oh well, it's not like they're unusable or anything.

      Delete
  3. I was also interested in these Disney palettes, but decided to pass on them because like Angie, I've never been too impressed with E.L.F products. Although the colors are pretty, it's a shame about the formula/pigmentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup... haha no one is surprised by this outcome!

      Delete
  4. I've read that this particular Elf LE was available only in the US, I think I would've bought it just for the packaging as well! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's too bad, I didn't realize it was exclusive to the US! :( I'm sorry!

      Delete
  5. Awesome as a collectors item. But as far as makeup goes, meh. Elf has definitely stepped up their game but theyre not up there just yet! Thanks for the awesome swatches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! And you are very welcome!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)