Friday, September 7, 2012

Just a little check-in

Hi guys!

No tutorials or reviews or swatches in this post, but it's been awhile since I posted last and I just wanted to check in and say hello! I haven't been up to much beauty-related, but I have been sewing an awful lot, which has been consuming a lot of my time. I am also getting ready for a block-wide garage sale tomorrow morning that my boyfriend's parents do every year around this time. We are using this opportunity to go through a lot of boxes that we haven't unpacked yet aaaaaand GUESS WHAT? I found a box that had a ton of makeup I'd lost in it! There were some loser boxes (old cables for computers! old jarred food!) and then there was a winner box that contained:

-Urban Decay Book of Shadows Vol II
-An old Tarte holiday set with a ton of great eyeshadows in it (it's in a silver case with jewels on it, and it's kind of a big cube... not sure when it was from, definitely a few years old)
-MAC lipstick in Midimauve
-a NARS coffret of 3 untouched mini lipglosses (the fourth is in circulation and made it into a long-ago uncovered box)
-some Victoria's Secret body products in Velvet, a favorite but unfortunately discontinued scent
And, drum roll please... some Tiffany & Co. jewelry. Yup, you heard that right; I found a couple of little Tiffany Blue boxes floating around in the box with all of my beauty treasures. I have a little silver bean necklace that I got in high school, and a watch that I got for my college graduation, and they were both recovered in one go. Very exciting!

Have you guys ever stumbled upon things you thought you'd lost? Was it indescribably exciting? It felt like Christmas morning!

Well,because I hate posting something with absolutely no pictures in it, I thought I'd give you guys a peek at some of my costuming progress. I wanted a necklace like Elizabeth I's in the portrait she gave to Edward when she was only Princess Elizabeth (two strings of alternating pearls and gold beads, one choker length, the other dipping down behind the neckline of her gown), but I also wanted an initial pendant like the one featured in so many portraits of her mother, Anne Boleyn. I ended up making the necklace like I wanted, with a pretty double-strand Tudor rose clasp, and then I fashioned a pendant in an "M" shape (for my last name) out of clay, and then painted it with gold metallic paint. I haven't got any beads to attach from the bottom of the pendant yet, so you'll see little gold rings inserted in the bottom that are bare, but will soon have either red glass or faux pearl drops on them. The whole project took just an evening, and I am pleased as punch with the results; it's not perfect, but it came out better than I expected, with a lot less effort than I expected! I am definitely not an experienced beader, and it's been years since I've done any beading.


Like I said, not perfect, but it'll do very nicely for a costume.

What have you guys been up to lately, beauty-related and otherwise? Any creative pursuits you've been indulging in lately? Have you ever uncovered long-lost makeup and felt like you were opening it for the first time again?

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE when I find those things! Its like finding a gift for yourself all over again! Like when you unexpectedly find money in your pocket, yeah! That feeling! LOL

    Anywho, are you blogging about your costume in your other blog? Id love to see pictures of it! (=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love finding money tucked into a pocket or a clutch! That is fun, too :) And I am kind of blogging about my costume on my other blog! I am very bad at taking pictures as I go, I'm not used to photographing each step, but I am trying to get better. So far I mostly just have underpinnings done, but if you'd like to see pictures of my corset (not on me, just laying on the ground :P) or an unfinished hoop skirt... head on over! I have a couple of older pictures over there as well, and some pictures will be going up in the next couple of weeks of current projects, so keep your eyes peeled!

      Delete
  2. So awesome to find a box of makeup you forgot about! How exciting! LOVE the necklace! Can't wait to see how it looks when it is completely done! Hope you will share a pic of you wearing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty awesome! And I will try to remember to put a picture up once I get the danglies for the pendant and have a chance to attach them :)

      Delete
  3. I love finding old things! When I was going through boxes of stuff from college I found so many awesome things I had forgotten I had. When Chris and I were cleaning out his place we found a bunch of relics too. Pretty fun excavating your past :)

    The pendant is lovely! What a cool story about your inspiration for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so fun finding these little treasures! What did you uncover? If nothing else, it brings back lots of memories!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous job on the necklace! That's awesome that you found your stuff, it's such a crappy feeling when you think you've lost something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it was definitely a relief to find that box!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)