Sunday, August 26, 2012

Revisiting Tarte's True Blood Palette

I recently pulled out Tarte's True Blood Palette that I picked up on clearance from Sephora last holiday season. I was originally on the fence about it, but after the price dropped I knew I wanted it; I like Tarte's eyeshadow formula, and the colors looked really versatile. Tarte also has a really nice matte formula, and I was looking forward to adding a couple of neutral mattes to my collection in the form of this palette. In addition to the eyeshadows it has a primer, an eyeliner, and a mascara, but I only used the eyeshadows for this look.

At first glance, this palette looks like it would be better suited to "edgy" looks; the black and red corset look is your first indication, but lots of the colors in it are really vampy and bold. However, I wanted to see if I could do a very natural-looking eye to go with a bold red lip for daytime using this palette.


One really annoying thing about this palette is that the color names aren't printed anywhere on it, and I lost the insert that has the shade names. So, I'm going to be referring to the colors based on their position in the palette in rows, with five rows total. So if I'm referring to the black matte shade on the bottom, I'd say the black matte shade (second from left in the fifth row). Likewise, the silver shade just above and to the right of it would be that silver shade (third from left in the fourth row). Hopefully that makes some sort of sense.

ALL OF THE COLORS

I used a mixture of the shimmery beige (far left in the first row) and the shimmery pink (second from left in the first row) all over the eye, with more of the pink under the brow and on the inner corner. I then used the warm mauvey-brown (far right in the first row) in the crease. I used the dark matte brown (second from left in the second row) in the bottom part of the crease, focusing the color on the outside edge. I pushed some of the very sparkly tan/gold (third from the left in the second row) against my upper lash line, and used the matte grey (far right in the third row) on my lower lash line.

Just for kicks, I used a one of my my pink-brown blushes (I can't remember which one right now... Probably NARS Douceur) with Exhibit A by NARS over it, and I am wearing NARS lipstick in Jungle Red on my lips.




The tan/gold sparkly shade that I used on the upper lashline had SO MUCH fallout. All of the fallout. It's up there with Urban Decay's Midnight Cowboy for fallout. Other than that, I think this is a really versatile palette, and I'm going to try doing a vampier look from it to compare to this one, so keep your eyes open for that! It has everything you need for a really natural eye look, though; highlight, contour, and nice in between shades to add lots of depth to a natural eye, with a variety of finishes. I really just wanted to enhance the shape of my eye and make it look more polished than a bare eye would be.

Do any of you have this palette? I don't think it's available anymore, but I am glad I snagged it when I had the chance!

Do you guys do "bare" natural eye looks very often? I tend to at least use eyeliner if I am going to do an eye that is this neutral, but because I had my heart set on wearing a bold red lip without looking too fussy, I left it out this time around.


6 comments:

  1. I'm just like you, I usually wear at least eyeliner!
    I have to say I like this look, it looks great on you :)
    p.s. you've got mail! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Checked and replied, thank you so much! :D

      Delete
  2. I have this palette, but I rarely grab for it. I'll have to pull it out again sometime soon.

    I like doing "bare" natural eye looks. I use liner because I feel like I just look funny without it. I especially like using a pop of color for my liner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love colored liner! Like I said in the post, I almost always wear some sort of liner (or at lest do a darker eyeshadow against the lashline), this was the exception to that rule! I think the lips balanced it out, but I would have looked really washed out if I'd been wearing a bare lip or a paler color!

      Delete
  3. I wanted to get this really badly when the price dropped but I missed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, too bad! Sometimes these things resurface... Hopefully you'll get a chance to own it someday if you decide you really need it!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)